Chemical Wedding - The Movie

Hi guys

Don't get on here often but just had this info come through at work. Thought it might be of interest - sorry if it's old news to you all!

O.S.T. CHEMICAL WEDDING WARNER MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT/CINRAM
CD 5144283812 5051 4428 3812 1
RELEASED: 26.05.08
TRACKLISTING: 1 Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson, 2 Hush Hush Here Comes The Bogie Man - Henry Hall / Val Rosing, 3 Fanlight Fanny - George Formby, 4 Man Of Sorrows - Bruce Dickinson, 5 Wickerman - Iron Maiden,
6 Can I Play With Madness - Iron Maiden, 7 Separation - Skin, 8 Une Faune Apres Midi - Debussy,
9 The Hallelujah Chorus - Handel, 10 (Excerpt) Violin Concerto - Mozart,
OVERVIEW: Chemical Wedding is a feature film written by Iron Maiden front-man, Bruce Dickinson and long term Monty Python editor, Julian Doyle, who also directed the film. The film is a gothic sci-fi extravaganza set in Trinity College Cambridge, where a scientific experiment goes awry resulting in the resurrection of the infamous Edwardian Occultist Aleister Crowley, who was immortalised into pop culture by the likes of The Beatles, Jimmy Page and Ozzy Osborne. The soundtrack will be released on May 19th, the week of the theatrical release of the film on 20 screens nationwide. The soundtrack contains 2 Iron Maiden tracks and 2 tracks from Bruce Dickinson solo albums. The remaining tracks are a mix of classical, score and some period songs. Tracks will be interspersed with dialogue clips from the movie.
PRESS: The soundtrack will be featured on all advertising for the film release, which will include National & regional press, listings mags, music magazines & outdoor poster sites
MARKETING: The CD will be mentioned alongside all publicity for the film release.

Watch video footage of Dickinson in Cannes promoting the "Chemical Wedding" movie courtesy of BBC News.
Link (funny!)

+

Rock star Bruce Dickinson flies in to bring a touch of Satan to the Croisette

Andrew Pulver / Monday May 19, 2008 / The Guardian

Metal god, actor, novelist, swordsman, pilot, DJ - and now screenwriter. Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson is a man of many parts, and this weekend he showed up in Cannes to show off a new film called Chemical Wedding. Dickinson, a registered commercial airline pilot, flew himself to the south of France, along with a bunch of journalists, fans, and suitably attired hangers-on (they carried tote bags bearing the legend "Bruce Air Flight 666").

There's something very Iron Maiden about Wedding, dabbling as it does in the occult world of early-20th-century mystic Aleister Crowley, finding several excuses to liberate young women from their clothes, and incorporating dialogue that sounds as if it was lifted from the Number of the Beast's lyric sheet. It would all be too ridiculous if Dickinson were not such a nice, unassuming chap - the 49-year-old product of a minor public school with a penchant for satanic imagery.
When Dickinson sits down with Chemical Wedding director Julian Doyle (a veteran of Iron Maiden videos and Terry Gilliam's editing room) the pair clearly get on like a house on fire. Dickinson says Chemical Wedding has been in the works for 15 years, having passed through a number of producers; in the end, he got the thing off the ground himself.

"I started getting into Aleister Crowley when I was 15," he says. "He was the first rock star." He adds that Chemical Wedding is "Withnail & I meets The Wicker Man", which must have sounded good in those pitch meetings.

Without Dickinson, Chemical Wedding would have remained one of the submerged nine-tenths of gunk films clogging up the Cannes film market. Hampered by ropey performances, it never reaches the levels of weirdness and humour it is aiming at. But Dickinson, game as ever, can't resist a final, harmless blasphemy: "We bring Crowley back for three days. Like Christ. Only better." Get your devil-horn salute ready now.

Tracklist revealed of the soundtrack.

Source:

Bruce Dickinson Chemical Wedding OST

Tracklisting
1. CHEMICAL WEDDING - BRUCE DICKINSON
2. MEET THE WICKEDEST MAN IN THE WORLD - GEOFF BRETON & SEAN REA
3. HUSH, HUSH, HUSH, HERE COMES THE BOGEY MAN (REMASTERED) - HENRY HALL
4. YOUNG SYMONDS & YOUNG ALEX MEET CROWLEY - GEOFF BRETON, SEAN REA & JOHN SHRAPNEL
5. 50 YEARS I KEPT HIS WATCH - PAUL MCDOWELL
6. THE SUIT REVEALED (Score)
7. THE EVIL THAT MEN DO LIVES ON - THOMAS NELSTROP
8. MATHERS’ DREAM (Score)
9. SEXUAL MAGIC - SIMON CALLOW & JUD CHARLTON
10. AN ENCOUNTER WITH HIM - SIMON CALLOW & JUD CHARLTON
11. LIA MEETS MATHERS (Score)
12. SYMONDS INTRODUCES DR OLIVER HADDO - PAUL MCDOWELL
13. MESSIAH : PART 2 "HALLELUJAH" - HANDEL
14. HADDO'S LECTURE (Dialogue) - SIMON CALLOW
15. SYMPHONY NO.40 IN G MINOR K550 : I MOLTO ALLEGRO - MOZART
16. HADDO'S EXPLANATION - SIMON CALLOW, RICHARD FRANKLIN & ROBERT ASHBY
17. THOSE COCKLESS WINDERS - SIMON CALLOW & LUCY CUDDEN
18. WHO IS IT YOU THINK I AM - SIMON CALLOW & JUD CHARLTON
19. CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS - IRON MAIDEN
20. PROFESSOR IN SUIT THE JOURNEY - KAL WEBBER, JUD CHARLTON, TERRENCE BAYLER & JAMIE LISA JACQUEMIN
21. EVERY MAN & WOMAN IS A STAR - SIMON CALLOW
22. FANLIGHT FANNY - GEORGE FORMBY
23. HADDO VISITS THE MYSTIC SHOP - SIMON CALLOW & LILLY DUMONT
24. THE GHOST IN THE MACHINE – JUD CHARLTON & LUCY CUDDEN
25. SIP THE WINE - THE CEREMONY – NATASHA FORD
26. SPARE SOME CHANGE – KARE SILVERSTEN
27. THE WICKER MAN - IRON MAIDEN
28. SEPERATION BY SKIN (Alchemical Mix) - EARTH LAB
29. SHE’S THINKING OF ME - SIMON CALLOW & JUD CHARLTON
30. PRODUCING A MOONCHILD – MIKE SHANNON & PAUL MCDOWELL
31. BEHOLD THE PLACE I HAVE LED YOU - SIMON CALLOW
32. HYPNOTIZING BRENT - PAUL MCDOWELL, TERRENCE BAYLER & KAL WEBER
33. THE CURIOUS CAT COMES WILLINGLY - SIMON CALLOW
34. HE WAS NEVER A CARPENTER - PAUL MCDOWELL & KAL WEBER
35. MATHERS ENTERS THE SUIT - PAUL MCDOWELL & KAL WEBER
36. TIME AFTER ALL IS ONLY RELATIVE - SIMON CALLOW
37. WHERE’S THE DOOR - KAL WEBER & JAMIE LISA JACQUEMIN
38. HOLY UNION (Dialogue & Score) - SIMON CALLOW
39. THE LAST FIGHT (Score)
40. PRÉLUDE À L'APRÈS-MIDI D'UN FAUNE - DEBUSSY
41. FELT OUT OF PLACE (Dialogue) - MIKE SHANNON & PAUL MCDOWELL
42. MAN OF SORROWS - BRUCE DICKINSON

46233.jpg

Anyone has seen the film yet? I haven't. Here some good news:

Chemical Wedding (aka Crowley) was voted top film at the Athens Intl. Sci-Fi & Fantasy Film Festival. 

It has also been short listed in the top 4 for the forthcoming Amsterdam Film Festival.

I've actually got it on DVD, managed to find it for £2 in Zavvi before they started closing down, still haven't watched it though, lol. I've had too many things to watch at the moment.

I've also seen it,  but I thought is was awful with some rather sick humor.  Not my style,  and a couple of friends who watched without knowing anything about Dickinson being involved in it, had even worse things to say.

I have it on DVD, watched it recently and got what I was expecting: a B side horror movie with a Hammer feel. I give it 5/10 irrespective of Bruce's input as I would have given it 5/10 without his involvement too.

As expected, Crowley's bits were well documented and Simon Callow did one hell of a job as Crowley. His excellent acting is probably the reason why the film gets a 5/10.

Last edited:
Well, I finally saw it. I was expecting it to be truly horrible. It wasn't. It was only bad.

There was some really great IDEAS in the movie. But I think Bruce needed someone to go over the screenplay, or perhaps a better director to work with it. The execution in more than one place was failing.

The worst part was the constant attempt to make you think that Crowley's resurrection was scientifically possible. Unfortunately, Bruce just doesn't have the background to write this part convincingly. As a result, it sounded like Star Trek technobabble with real principles. Heisenburg's uncertainty principle was used as the real basis for this explanation, but what they wanted was more of a Schrodinger's Cat.

Yet I hadn't come to the final conclusion on what the story was until the end. So...not a great film, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Simon Callow was great - the rest of the acting quite poor.

Saw this film for the first time on Saturday (2 days ago) and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. While I was actually watching it I was thinking it was the worst thing I had ever seen, but when I thought about it afterwards I realised it was not entirely without merit, actually they had the elements of a really great film hidden in there but it didn't seem "finished" somehow, it was almost like a first draft. Suffers from too many ideas, some good, but none of which are really explained or developed properly due to insufficient screen time. A few sideways references to Maiden (to be expected I suppose), a couple of cameo appearances by Bruce and Simon Callow clearly enjoying himself very much. On the whole I think hardly a great piece of cinema but not completely awful either, maybe worth a look if you're not squeamish and don't have a problem with nudity. Possibly might improve with a second viewing, not sure.

Was interested to note that all three of Bruce's kids appear in it though. Anyone else seen it recently or did all interest in it die out in 2010?

Well, I wouldn't have recognised their faces but their names are all in the end credits. Austin and Griffin are extras in the student scenes. Kia, who would probably have been a bit too young to pass as a Cambridge student (about thirteen when it was filmed?) has a credit as "blind man's daughter" - "blind man" being Bruce's second cameo. He is apparently the figure hidden under the hat, pretty much unrecognisable, sitting next to the Scottish drunk who Crowley beats up for saying "your time will come" (while The Wicker Man plays in the background) but I can't spot a third person in that scene so maybe the frames she was in were cut from the final version. I can't think where else she would have been with that credit.

Only Austin would have been just about old enough to attend the premier though.

Well, I wouldn't have recognised their faces but their names are all in the end credits. Austin and Griffin are extras in the student scenes. Kia, who would probably have been a bit too young to pass as a Cambridge student (about thirteen when it was filmed?) has a credit as "blind man's daughter" - "blind man" being Bruce's second cameo. He is apparently the figure hidden under the hat, pretty much unrecognisable, sitting next to the Scottish drunk who Crowley beats up for saying "your time will come" (while The Wicker Man plays in the background) but I can't spot a third person in that scene so maybe the frames she was in were cut from the final version. I can't think where else she would have been with that credit.

Only Austin would have been just about old enough to attend the premier though.

If I remember correctly, Kia was the girl walking with the blind man.

If I remember correctly, Kia was the girl walking with the blind man.
Well I couldn't say with any confidence that I'd identified that second cameo at all, so I was totally dependent on what I'd read elsewhere from people who claimed they could. If you are right and the blind man was walking then it was a completely different scene to the one I was referred to - whereabouts in the film is it and at what point in the story?

Well I couldn't say with any confidence that I'd identified that second cameo at all, so I was totally dependent on what I'd read elsewhere from people who claimed they could. If you are right and the blind man was walking then it was a completely different scene to the one I was referred to - whereabouts in the film is it and at what point in the story?

I cannot remember whereabouts in the film it was; the last time I watched it was ages ago. If I remember correctly, Bruce was playing a blind man walking together with the help of a young girl (Kia) in a scene that happened during the night. Apologies for the lack of detail, but that is what I remember about this cameo.

Ah well never mind, thanks for the clue anyway GhostofCain. Armed with that info I'll have to take another look at the film and see if I can identify it (got the DVD now - at £1.10 I wasn't going to complain!) All highly mysterious and intriguing ...

Hello all!

To anyone who is still interested to know where in the film is the blind man + daughter scene, it's 1:09.06 in, in the scene with the ambulances and police in front of "Isis" (shop under where the orgy took place).

I have to do little confession here..if it's ok.
As I sometime was going through some old stuff, memories and Bruce's solo-stuff I realized:
I still haven't seen this movie as I remember the things going when it was to be released.
Then somehow when it was on sale on dvd, I didn't order my copy as I suppose it didn't contain any subtitles (you know Im from Finland, can understand and talk english exemplary but surely would need subtitles as sometimes certain words or dialect can be hard understand without proper subtitles making it easier to follow especially if there's lots of dialogue going around).
By the way, do I remember it wrong, but does this have english-subtitles or not? I might have to check this one out after all these years.

Hello all!

To anyone who is still interested to know where in the film is the blind man + daughter scene, it's 1:09.06 in, in the scene with the ambulances and police in front of "Isis" (shop under where the orgy took place).
Thanks for this info - sorry for the late response, I only just found your post as I'd stopped following the thread :)
I have to do little confession here..if it's ok.
As I sometime was going through some old stuff, memories and Bruce's solo-stuff I realized:
I still haven't seen this movie as I remember the things going when it was to be released.
Then somehow when it was on sale on dvd, I didn't order my copy as I suppose it didn't contain any subtitles (you know Im from Finland, can understand and talk english exemplary but surely would need subtitles as sometimes certain words or dialect can be hard understand without proper subtitles making it easier to follow especially if there's lots of dialogue going around).
By the way, do I remember it wrong, but does this have english-subtitles or not? I might have to check this one out after all these years.
I've just had a look and the DVD does not seem to have any subtitles (the options are "greyed out") - sorry :(

Back