Classic albums and famous bands you don't like

No, they really are pretty bad. I will concede that they have some songs that are not terrible, but most their music is incredibly repetitive and self-referential. Most of their singles sound exactly the same. I'm pretty sure there's a YouTube video that puts them all together, and it works!

Musically, are there worse bands? Absolutely. But Nickelback takes the cake for repeating themselves without shame and writing very poor lyrics.
Which is why they irritate me more than things like Bieber. Not to mention there is an army of rock groups who are following their example (Creed, Buckcherry, etc). If I want to listen to rock radio or something I have to put up with all those groups too. Avoiding Bieber is easy.

Nickelback aren't that bad, I bet half the people who say they hate them have either never heard them or quite like them... it's just the "cool" thing to do these days. It's practically how to define music hipsters!
As if hating Justin Bieber or One Direction is any less trendy. ::)

I should take you up on that, as I am sadly unfamiliar with much of their work (other than 7-8 most popular tunes).
You really should. A Night At The Opera would easily make my top ten favorite albums of all time.

Bon Jovi started off okay but got really awful really quick. Same with Def Leppard. The Doors suck too.

There's another! Def Leppard. Ok well, I'll say this about them, there are some songs I do like but the rest is very much eh.

I really love their albums before Hysteria. Everything after that is shit. Speaking of, talk about an overrated classic album. Hysteria is mostly filler.

Maybe I should look more into their before Hysteria period. I find it funny that when they started out, they were considered part of the NWOBHM.

Adding The Ramones to my list. Actually, a lot of punk type bands I'm not very fond of.

Yea, those early albums were more on the Metal side, especially in the vocals and guitar sound. Elliot used to have quite the rough voice. Pyromania is my favorite but it has some pretty poppy moments.

Wow, this thread got good.

Leppard's first two albums were NWOBHM and quite good, Pyromania is excellent.
Most everything since is despicable.

Despised Bon Jovi in the 80s. But some of their more recent material is not bad. Don't know if they matured, or I got old.

As a genre, hair metal is dripping with excremental songs. Poison is among the worst "rock" music ever made.
But there were a handful of decent rock bands marketed as hair metal that had some good stuff - most prominently Van Halen, very much an elite band.

Same basic thoughts apply to power Metal, but it doesn't have a Van Halen.

Aerosmith was good when they were on drugs.

My reaction to Nickelback isn't far from Night Prowler's If I was hearing them for the first time, at least, a heavier song, my reaction would be a a shrug. Their issue is less their music, and more how successful they are and how much influence they have had over the music industry, despite being utterly mediocre.

And everyone needs more Queen in their life.

Their issue is less their music, and more how successful they are and how much influence they have had over the music industry, despite being utterly mediocre.
This exactly.

I pretty much agree with everything else too. Except the thing about Bon Jovi's recent material not being bad. They've reached new levels of awful IMO :p

Bon Jovi is just past, present and future bad.

Other than that part and the Van Halen part, I do agree with the rest of it. :D

Bon Jovi is just past, present and future bad.

Other than that part and the Van Halen part, I do agree with the rest of it. :D

I think the thing with Bon Jovi is there is an undeniable Springsteen influence that showed more as they got older, and I am a Springsteen fan. The country stuff, not so much.

I saw them open for Priest the very first time they played their Slippery When Wet material.
The metal heads were booing them (OK, I might've joined in a bit), but towards the end of the set, my buddy and I looked at each other and shook our heads. We both knew those pretty boys were going to be huge.

I am also not a fan of Springsteen but I think Slippery When Wet is a great album. The band became huge the minute is got released. I haven't play it ages but it's full of strong songs. I also quite like the debut album. Some of its material could have been on an A.S.a.P. record.

Been a long time since I listened to Slippery When Wet, but I remember not liking it much apart from a couple of the singles. Now that I think of it, that band is about as lame as 80's music gets. :p

ZZ Top, hair metal and I am sorry to say: most rock/metal music from the United States.
I am not sure if I can mention more than 10 US bands in that category that I really like.

I associate ZZ top more with the 70's. They only had a couple of big songs in the 80's IIRC.

USA didn't do too well with metal, the British factory edge was lost on them. Much better with other genres, like Jazz.

Lol! Yes, first I just wanted to write it without "rock/metal" but then I thought of all these great jazz CDs laying around here. Most are from the US. :)

There's not a lot of Jazz I enjoy outside of America; Asian Jazz is actually really interesting, but that's about it. I dunno how much you know about the history of Jazz, but it does have a rich cultural background. In the same way that Metal came out of British culture. Moreso, even. It really bugs me that we (the US) don't embrace it more, it's almost been antiquated.

To be more on topic, I find Jethro Tull to be quite dull.

Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, there may have been another one. I like Locomotive Breath and that was about it. Iron Maiden's version of Cross Eyed Mary is awesome, but I don't care for the original.

Back