Visual arts

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I remember we had a "art" topic floating around somewhere, but this forum can't be searched with the term "art". (The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common)

So I thought of making a new one, this time especially focusing on visual art. Let's not set strict rules, but I was more thinking of older, classical forms such as paintings / sculptures / architecture and such, rather than a DVD or a movie or something. ;-)

So, feel free to post your favourite names, pieces, buildings, anything you feel like. Own art is possible too, of course, and naturally you can also refer to latest discoveries / creations.

Let me start by saying I am not a huge art buff (as much as I am into other forms as films and music). I don't spend every week in a museum, but if I do not mind visiting one either once in a while.

I guess I am mostly into paintings, preferably landscapes, but I can also admire some famous painters who did more than that.

Also, my wife and I like to visit old city centres and castles and such. Often, if there is any, we have to see city gates, walls, churches, or any other kind of building of interest from medieval times or older. It's something more than the pure visual quality ("look, how nice"). These remnants of the past give us a larger interpretation of happenings in the past, or at least, they make us more curious. It's a special feeling to be there. Just as staring at something in a museum feels more special than looking at it on internet or in a book. In later posts I'll come up with some images and I am looking forward to your contributions a lot. Thanks in advance! :ok:

I used to go to art museums frequently but it's been awhile. My favorite painter has always been Leonardo Da Vinci. I also like Van Gogh, Monet and Michelangelo. I love Picasso's Cubism work, but I was never really interested in his Rose and Blue periods. So mostly the classics.

I'm also mostly into paintings, but I can enjoy sculptures too. I also really like some architecture, if that counts.

I don't know if that counts as "art" (perhaps it does since it's a part of architecture) but I'm really into searching informations and looking at pictures of bridges. I'm actually afraid of walking on a bridge*.

Not a fan of taking pictures or being a part of pictures myself (you can't find any picture of me on the internet, on Facebook, on Twitter, whatever) but I love checking out city panoramas, landscapes, architecture photography and urban photography. I used to have a collection that included 10k pictures of natural phenomena and landscapes, sadly it was deleted years ago.

Can't say I'm so much into painting and sculptures, but as for painting I enjoy works of Salvador Dali (especially The Persistence of Memory), Edvard Munch (especially The Scream), Claude Monet (especially The Boat Studio and Impression, Sunrise) and Vincent van Gogh (especially At Eternity's Gate and Starry Night Over the Rhone) plus I love landscape paintings (favorite artists include Caspar David Friedrich, J.M.W. Turner, Isaac Levitan, Claude Lorrain, Ivan Shiskin) ; and as for sculptures I love Michalengelo Buonarotti's work (especially David and The Genius of Victory).

* I'm afraid of balconies, bridges and everything that has you being close to falling down. (mind you, falling down straightly, I'm not afraid of being on top of a mountain because that means I'd hit some rocks before hurting/killing myself) That's probably because I had nightmares based on falling down from a balcony for almost every day between the ages of five and ten. I also don't know how to swim and have escaped drowning three times so that probably has much to do with my fear of bridges.

Jean Delville

736845_508775609142786_847946733_o.jpg

I used to go to art museums frequently but it's been awhile. My favorite painter has always been Leonardo Da Vinci. I also like Van Gogh, Monet and Michelangelo. I love Picasso's Cubism work, but I was never really interested in his Rose and Blue periods. So mostly the classics.

I'm also mostly into paintings, but I can enjoy sculptures too. I also really like some architecture, if that counts.
Looks like a broad taste, Mosh, just as your musical taste. Lots of stuff to discover yet, but also a solid base to go from.

I don't know if that counts as "art" (perhaps it does since it's a part of architecture) but I'm really into searching informations and looking at pictures of bridges. I'm actually afraid of walking on a bridge*.
That's interesting. Good that you're still interested in bridges. Could mean that you're looking for a way to get rid of this fear. I have also nearly drowned once, when being stuck with the point of a kayak in between some rocks, after descending from a small waterfall. Never entered a kayak since.

I am also into bridges. I live in Delft, which can be seen as "small Amsterdam", because of its quantity of canals and bridges. Delft has about 80 bridges in the city center. They look something like this:
799px-Delft_-_Roosbrug.jpg

There's also one bridge and if you stand it, you can see 10 other bridges, I think. I also like more ancient bridhes, such as from the Roman period. But I can also be amazed by a structure as e.g. the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. Never been there but hope to go there one day.

Not a fan of taking pictures or being a part of pictures myself (you can't find any picture of me on the internet, on Facebook, on Twitter, whatever) but I love checking out city panoramas, landscapes, architecture photography and urban photography. I used to have a collection that included 10k pictures of natural phenomena and landscapes, sadly it was deleted years ago.
Too bad. I also like (taking) pictures without people or other modern objects in it. Helps me more with "looking into" the past.
John Martin

188710_507194379300909_928055808_n.jpg
Wow! Really nice Sixes! I need to look more into this guy. I also like the other dude, by the way. But this one, the steepness of that cliff and the hazy light and beautiful colours... awesome.

Looks like a broad taste, Mosh, just as your musical taste. Lots of stuff to discover yet, but also a solid base to go from.
Well my interest in art has lowered in recent years. I was always more interested in the lives of the artists, and why they created what they did. I used to check out short biographies of different artists every week at the library and go from there. It helped me appreciate the art much more.

There's also one bridge and if you stand it, you can see 10 other bridges, I think. I also like more ancient bridhes, such as from the Roman period. But I can also be amazed by a structure as e.g. the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. Never been there but hope to go there one day.

Golden Gate Bridge was the thing that got me interested in architecture and bridges in the first place. I used to have hundreds of pictures of it alone in my collection. I used to play a racing game called Midtown Madness 2 when I was around 5 years old and it was based on San Francisco and London. I still play it as a nostalgia at times and it's the reason why visiting both cities is on my bucket list. :D

A great name, Turner, and an intriguing painting you posted. I love that moon(?)light coming out of the darkness.

Incidentally I found this painting by Turner of Tintern Abbey, Wales. Maiden recorded their video for Can I Play With Madness there, and I hope to visit the place on my trip to Wales:
Turner_Tintern1.jpg

Joachim Patinir (c. 1480 – 5 October 1524), one of the earliest "landscape painters". One of the painters Breughel was influenced by. What I like are his three-tone systems. Foreground, middle ground, background each have a different dominant colour.

url

The Penitence of St. Jerome

chapeau5506

Landscape with St Christopher

patinir1.JPG

Landscape with St. Jerome

1jp.jpg

Crossing the River Styx

I'm most impressed by life drawing, both human and animals. For some reason, I usually prefer sketches and small studies to major finished works, maybe because you can see the way the image was built up, rubbed out lines, blotches and all.
I do love historical art, but especially fond of Durer and da Vinci

Back