Christmas card from 1980 sells for over $800

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
From: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/vintage-iron-maiden-christmas-card-sells-for-hundreds-of-dollars/
Iron-Maiden-Christmas-Card-Gatefold1.jpg

Iron Maiden’s mascot Eddie can shame the Grinch, the Scrooge and every bad Santa on the planet when it comes to having scary character. This vintage 1980 Christmas card depicts Eddie with a blood stained guitar and portrays Santa Claus slain at his feet. The 4×6 artwork certainly bares more jeer than cheer but when it comes to rock memorabilia this seasonal item holds it value. This copy here, sold for $837.50 on eBay.

This card is authentic; extremely rare and autographed by all five members of the band. The inside of the card reads “A Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Oh-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo.” The inside gatefold of the card looks slightly discolored but the cover art and autographs still appear very sharp.

Issued as a holiday promo prior to Bruce Dickinson’s coming into the picture it should be noted that this card is signed by original vocalist Paul Di’Anno and then members Steve Harris, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Clive Burr. By then, the band were well on their way of being a very established group but to say it was the calm before the storm would be an understatement. Within two years Iron Maiden were huge, thanks to the success of their third album ‘The Number Of The Beast.’

Eddie is one of rock’s most recognizable icons; symbolic of the band, always arriving with a source of power and a look in his eye that silently threatens to be loud. We’ve seen him portrayed in dozens of scenarios and represented through various mediums but here, it’s the dichotomy of seeing him in the same room with Santa that makes this collectible stand out. The fact that Santa is no longer standing at all is Iron Maiden humor at its absolute best.
WOW! That is pretty sweet looking! I know they've had others on their site over the years so it makes me wonder if they've had other Christmas cards throughout the 80's.

I saw that on blabbermouth.net and thought that was pretty awesome! I wonder too if they had other Christmas cards.

People say I have girl writing, so, while I don't know about Paul, I think I'm in good company with Adrian.

That's an awesome card, I would love to be able to send a blank one to fellow metal fans.

But only a few of them were done by Riggs. They used to have competitions for fans and artists around the world through the fan club, the winner would get his/her artwork printed on the official Christmas card that would be shipped to every Fan club member. The runner ups would be revealed, one each day, as a sort of Eddie Christmas calendar on Ironmaiden.com. Shame they don't do that anymore.

Here are the few that I have. I was not a member of the fan club back then, I got these through trades and stuff..

002gxi.jpg

I couldn't find the year on the top left, but the top right card is from 2001, bottom left is from 1999, bottom right is the 2002 card.

Really liking the bottom right one, but that's based on one of my favourite bits of Maiden artwork anyway.
I'd like to see a Christmas card based on the Dance of Death album artwork:D

Aww, I like that one. Or I like the Reaper Eddie in it, the dancing figures aren't very good. Isn't that the one that the artist considered unfinished?

Back