Dance Of Death - the album

Well I'd take CC cover over this any day:
p.jpg

:p

I don't think you should necessarily avoid them. While I'm not privy to that type of music, I know lots of people who like it, and they're perfectly normal. They always say they feel rejuvenated after listening to bands like Cannibal Corpse, as if they released all their rage and all their demons through listening to CC.

But does that level of extreme metal provide significantly more cathartic benefit than, say, thrash metal (I've heard a few Slayer songs, and I'm pretty sure they're my upper limit, though I know of some Slayer songs that I'm not too sure about)?

But I understand if you give their music a shot and dislike it. I personally find it difficult to sit through guttural vocals hard as I try, but I can see why that type of music is necessary.

I much dislike the guttural vocals. Once I tried to listen to some of Opeth's music, as I've heard positive things about them, but the use of guttural vocals annoyed me and turned me away from them (though I hear on their newer albums they are using only clean vocals, maybe I'll take a look at those someday).

I'm kind of surprised you guys are most offended by the CC cover. I personally found the Boned and the Wally artwork far worse. :p

Oh, no doubt that those are cheesier and more cringe inducing, but the Cannibal Corpse one was more on the plane of disturbing and disgusting.

But does that level of extreme metal provide significantly more cathartic benefit than, say, thrash metal (I've heard a few Slayer songs, and I'm pretty sure they're my upper limit, though I know of some Slayer songs that I'm not too sure about)?

It would depend on the person. Maybe thrash metal doesn't do it for someone, or maybe one just can't get into thrash. I know I personally don't listen to thrash when I'm angry; I listen to it when I'm excited. I opt instead for Pantera or Eminem or Nine Inch Nails.

I try to avoid the covers, not the music itself. Though the covers gave me a hard time when I was trying to discover their stuff.

I hated their music too, so yeah, I don't give a damn about CC. :p

When I was 15, it was not just enough to like heavy metal. Bands like Maiden and Metallica were considered too mainstream to be cool, so practically if you wanted to be seen as "cool" you had to go to all extremes. So I have had my share of Sepultura, Slayer, Cradle of Filth and Cannibal Corpse but fortunately I quickly realised that the music I listen to should work for me, not to anybody else. I still like Sepultura, though. :)

I'm saying that there are different covers that are worse. For instance, I find these covers far worse than DOD's:

boned.jpg

tomb_of_the_mutilated_1024x768.jpg

enhanced-buzz-26777-1334449497-6.jpg

acov_tid157742-1.png

The problem is that MAYBE the covers Boned,Unurakum are made like this ( im pretty sure) for fun,the cover of canival corpse is this,a canival corpse cover.BUT Dance of death cover is made trying to be serious! and for me is close to the unurakum cover.

The problem is that MAYBE the covers Boned,Unurakum are made like this ( im pretty sure) for fun,the cover of canival corpse is this,a canival corpse cover.BUT Dance of death cover is made trying to be serious! and for me is close to the unurakum cover.

Okay, you're saying this album cover is bad because it's CGI trying to be serious. I just posted album covers of a 1) a guitar neck popping out of a guy's pants, 2) a corpse giving head to another corpse, 3) an album called It's Me, Mum! with a guy smiling and waving (presumably to his mum), and 4) a random drawing that was either created on Paint or hand-drawn by a two-year-old, and you're saying that bad CGI is worse than those because they're trying to be serious?

Intention or not, you cannot possibly believe that DOD's album art is worse than those. Look at those pictures and then look at DOD's. DOD's is clearly the best of the five, and it's not even a competition.

I don't understand your argument that "[Cannibal] [C]orpse is ... a [Cannibal] [C]orpse cover." Your original claim was that DOD's album cover was the worst album art ever. I presented one that was clearly worse, and you're saying that it doesn't count because it's CC. That's silly.

Now if you meant it was Maiden's worst album art, sure, I can be on board with that. It's not my favorite album art in the world. But clearly it's not the worst album art in all of music.

Okay, you're saying this album cover is bad because it's CGI trying to be serious. I just posted album covers of a 1) a guitar neck popping out of a guy's pants, 2) a corpse giving head to another corpse, 3) an album called It's Me, Mum! with a guy smiling and waving (presumably to his mum), and 4) a random drawing that was either created on Paint or hand-drawn by a two-year-old, and you're saying that bad CGI is worse than those because they're trying to be serious?

Intention or not, you cannot possibly believe that DOD's album art is worse than those. Look at those pictures and then look at DOD's. DOD's is clearly the best of the five, and it's not even a competition.

I don't understand your argument that "[Cannibal] [C]orpse is ... a [Cannibal] [C]orpse cover." Your original claim was that DOD's album cover was the worst album art ever. I presented one that was clearly worse, and you're saying that it doesn't count because it's CC. That's silly.

Now if you meant it was Maiden's worst album art, sure, I can be on board with that. It's not my favorite album art in the world. But clearly it's not the worst album art in all of music.

Yes,im pretty sure boned and the last one are a JOKE,made for laugh.Canibal corpse has made many of that kind of art,and his fans LOVE IT.

Boned was a joke. The last one not so much. But whether they're jokes or not, they're still terrible and not funny.

I'm not asking about their fans. I'm asking if you personally believe the CC cover is better than the DOD cover.

Boned was a joke. The last one not so much. But whether they're jokes or not, they're still terrible and not funny.

I'm not asking about their fans. I'm asking if you personally believe the CC cover is better than the DOD cover.

Yes it would be like DOD 0,01 Canibal Corpse 0,02. And also i expect Canibal Corpse to have cover like that.

But see, you're saying all this stuff that really does not affect the quality of an album cover.

Here, I'll use an analogy. Let's say I said Age of Innocence was the worst song ever. And you said, "No, there are worse songs," and posted a Flo Rida song. And I said, "Well, I expect Flo Rida to have bad songs, so it doesn't count. Age of Innocence is from a band that usually has masterpieces. Age of Innocence is the worst song ever."

I'm not being fair, am I?

That's essentially what you're doing with DOD's album cover. You're admitting that yes, the other album covers are worse, but you're affording those excuses (they're trying to be bad, that's what you would expect from that group, etc) and you're ignoring the fact that those album covers ARE worse. So yes, your statement was greatly exaggerated and by your admission untrue.

So what you really want to say is that it's the worst Iron Maiden album art. And that's fine. I kind of agree. It's definitely down there with No Prayer and TFF.

Just like in my analogy, what I really mean is that Age of Innocence is the worst Iron Maiden song.

(That's a hypothetical. I'm not really sure what I consider the worst Iron Maiden song.)

Yeah, that was pretty alarming. I question the value of that kind of music.

I'm not a big fan of Cannibal Corpse or old-school death metal in general (except for Bolt Thrower, who are bloody amazing), but I would urge you to at least give the music a good listen before you completely make a judgement about it. It took me several years to get into extreme metal, but now I prefer it to a lot of 'classic' stuff.

I've heard that there more incredibly awful album covers on Black Metal & Death Metal scene. Including corpses (real ones), cut, torn apart body parts and stuff. Like I've said, I'm trying my best to avoid them.

Avoid the album covers or the music in general?

If you ask me, the most disgusting metal covers out there are Metallica's Load and ReLoad ones. Urine, blood and sperm... seriously? :huh:

I'm not a big fan of Cannibal Corpse or old-school death metal in general (except for Bolt Thrower, who are bloody amazing), but I would urge you to at least give the music a good listen before you completely make a judgement about it. It took me several years to get into extreme metal, but now I prefer it to a lot of 'classic' stuff.

I may yet do that at some point, the first step would probably be to see if Slayer is a band that I would like to listen to. I'm not sure if it counts as extreme metal, I think some would say that the extreme end of thrash counts and some wouldn't.

If you ask me, the most disgusting metal covers out there are Metallica's Load and ReLoad ones. Urine, blood and sperm... seriously? :huh:

Those ones are pretty awful. I didn't actually know what it was when I first saw Load, I think it was a small picture and I thought it was like a little drawing of flames or something, then I saw a bigger picture and realized that it was liquid… Little did I know… Apparently there was a time there where Lars was into that kind of "art" :blink: .

I may yet do that at some point, the first step would probably be to see if Slayer is a band that I would like to listen to. I'm not sure if it counts as extreme metal, I think some would say that the extreme end of thrash counts and some wouldn't.
I'd say that Slayer is a great band to start with.

Slayer is a good one to start with on the extreme thrash/death metal front. Although I think early Bolt Thrower might also appeal. For black metal, I think that Naglfar (not to be confused with Nagelfar) would be fairly easy to stomach for Maiden fans.

But see, you're saying all this stuff that really does not affect the quality of an album cover.

Here, I'll use an analogy. Let's say I said Age of Innocence was the worst song ever. And you said, "No, there are worse songs," and posted a Flo Rida song. And I said, "Well, I expect Flo Rida to have bad songs, so it doesn't count. Age of Innocence is from a band that usually has masterpieces. Age of Innocence is the worst song ever."

I'm not being fair, am I?

That's essentially what you're doing with DOD's album cover. You're admitting that yes, the other album covers are worse, but you're affording those excuses (they're trying to be bad, that's what you would expect from that group, etc) and you're ignoring the fact that those album covers ARE worse. So yes, your statement was greatly exaggerated and by your admission untrue.

So what you really want to say is that it's the worst Iron Maiden album art. And that's fine. I kind of agree. It's definitely down there with No Prayer and TFF.

Just like in my analogy, what I really mean is that Age of Innocence is the worst Iron Maiden song.

(That's a hypothetical. I'm not really sure what I consider the worst Iron Maiden song.)

Ok Dance of death is the worst iron maiden .Forget it.

Please post me a cover where there are some (put a word,i dont find the correct) figures,and a dwarf? riding a cut-paste dog ( he is in the midle).i tell you ,and its true that in 2003 when the album was ready to be on the stores,the people in internet,and some webs said that the cover was a fake! a joke of the band and the real cover was the background( the background could be and amazing cover!).
I think a lot of the negative opinions of the album are shaped by the cover art.
I know I couldn't bring myself to listen to it for a long time because of it.

So, I reworked the cover to be less... crap. It's sized for mp3 album art (600x600). Enjoy.

5efp.png

I like this artwork, and would be interested to see what the original would have looked like finished.

I can quite imagine this, Hieronymous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights triptych, or similar art of the era, as being a major inspiration for the Dance of Death artwork.

hieronymous-bosch-the-garden-of-earthly-delights.gif

Hedonistic and carefree cavorting of man and beast in the centre, and horrors of eternal damnation on the right. It's not entirely unusual subject matter for medieval and post-medieval (although not usually post-Reformation) paintings, some more restrained than others. There were complaints at one time about gore and monsters being depicted in church murals.

To me, it ties in nicely with the title Dance of Death (or Danse Macabre, a recurrent theme in medieval art and plays) although the 'plot' for the title track is different and said to be inspired by the film The Seventh Seal. Both images point towards not simply death, but also the day of judgment/end of the world, death being a leveller of rich and poor, priest and layman alike. And the title track also features part of what sounds to me like a 16/17th Century dance tune, which resonates with historical references.

Rather than Dance of Death simply sticking within a broader theme of death, I see a lot more in that album that's apocalyptic or judgment day-related - in terms of judging events of the past from today's perspective and asking how the world of today will be judged in future when our foundations have long since crumbled. I'm sure I read an analysis somewhere of the device Eddie is standing on, but it looks to me like a representation of the Round Table, a symbol of all men being equal in the face of justice.

Oh, and Reaper Eddie looks not unlike the beckoning reaper from Children of Bodom's first album cover. See my avatar for details.

Back