New Forum Broken Something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss being able to view the registered members list by date registered, # of posts (or messages now), last active etc. What happened to the site stats?

Just a few thoughts on the new forum software - first of all, it's great and I love the increased level of interactivity (i.e. being able to like someone's post, more advanced editing and posting features, etc).

I was wondering, as I checked out the official XenForo development website, did Jon get it for free or did he have to pay for it? The license is 140$+VAT per year, it's not all that cheap...

Just a few thoughts on the new forum software - first of all, it's great and I love the increased level of interactivity (i.e. being able to like someone's post, more advanced editing and posting features, etc).

I was wondering, as I checked out the official XenForo development website, did Jon get it for free or did he have to pay for it? The license is 140$+VAT per year, it's not all that cheap...

It does cost money, but that's not uncommon among the top tier forum software (Xenforo, VBulletin, IPB ) - the $140 is an initial charge, additional years of support & upgrades are more like $40, the way I see it paying for the product means they're motivated to work to improve and maintain it.

Thanks for the info. I actually wanted to ask if you need financial assistance, I think there would be people here (including me) who would be willing to donate a symbolic sum, something around $10 per person to help you maintain the site...

Thanks for the info. I actually wanted to ask if you need financial assistance, I think there would be people here (including me) who would be willing to donate a symbolic sum, something around $10 per person to help you maintain the site...

I really appreciate the gesture, but I'm lucky enough to be able to comfortably afford to maintain the site, and the main thing for me is that everyone who uses the sites gets the best experience and has a good time here.

All right. Then I'd like to thank you once again for your great work, the new forum is truly spectacular! Cheers!

Hey Jon, can you add a function for spoiler tags? I think they will become necessary again sooner or later.
Get it done before 2013 and you're on time. ;P
The deadline has moved up a bit for that now! :p Hopefully the board's software allows for it. But if not, oh well. The best we'll be able to do is put spoiler in thread titles and if someone accidentally stumbles across it, that's too bad I guess. Hey, it's like that on every other similar board I've seen out there.

Here's my proposal for a simple spoiler tag function: I assume that the XenForo BB is at least as flexible as the phpBB; if it has the option to create custom HTML-based tags, you could create a tag which will add a text line saying SPOILER and then paint the selected text in white, so it can only be readable when it's selected with the cursor.

For example, the syntax could remain the same:

This is a line which is meant to be seen all the time because it doesn't contain a spoiler.
This is the spoiler text which is meant to be hidden.
This is another line which is meant to be seen all the time because it doesn't contain a spoiler.

And this would be the result:

This is a line which is meant to be seen all the time because it doesn't contain a spoiler.
SPOILER: This is the spoiler text which is meant to be hidden.
This is another line which is meant to be seen all the time because it doesn't contain a spoiler.

Being able to title them is a great feature, cos you could give an extra warning to what it is a spoiler of. (EG Setlist, Stage etc) :ok:

Hey Jon, I just noticed that the reply field is of fixed width (1700 px at least), and when one uses a smaller screen resolution or a browser which is not maximized, it doesn't look good. Here's a screenshot if I explained myself poorly. Can you modify it and make it of variable width? Not a big deal though. (Click on thumbnail for full size.)

maidenfans.PNG

I looked into this. As we use the default Xenforo theme with some colour changes and a header, it's a problem with their theme. Basically, the width of the reply field is set when the page is loaded. Other people have complained about it, but it seems the developers don't have a good idea for a fix right now.

You should find it's the result of having had the window open really large then resizing it with the reply box visible (or having loaded the page with the browser window much wider). If you refresh the page you'll find it adapts (although obviously this might lose any reply in progress unless you put it on the clipboard or something)

At least, they're tracking it and if they do find a way to overcome it it'll roll out here when it makes it into a Xenforo update.

Cheers.
Jon

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that it changes width after refreshing the page. It's not that big of a deal anyway, thanks for the quick answer! Cheers!

I tried XenForo demo forum and it seems that Maximum Number of Poll Choices is editable. Jon, could you increase that number from 10 to 50 or so?
POLLS.jpg

I tried XenForo demo forum and it seems that Maximum Number of Poll Choices is editable. Jon, could you increase that number from 10 to 50 or so?

Wow, thanks for checking that out - I've bumped it up as suggested.

Cheers,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back