Concentration Camps In North Korea

Yes, Foro. The USSR called itself Communist. North Korea calls itself Communist. So do Cuba and Vietnam, and so did Poland, Hungary, East Germany and a bunch of other countries. I agree with you that every country that tried to implement communism ended up becoming a dictature, and I think that is an inherent flaw in the system.

But let's talk about those North Korean concentration camps, shall we?

Party names are meaningless, but whatever. Okay, whatever, I'm not going there either.

The South has to be petrified that there'll be a call for North-South unification after Kim passes. Look at West-East Germany, and how bad that was. It'd be 10,000 times worse with North-South Korea. North Korea has nothing left. Every natural resource has been stripped away by the autocracy, the people are uneducated and malnourished, and the infrastructure is crumbling at best. How could they handle it?

In essence, what I've said in my first post - assassination would be the best option, if we knew who replaces Kim. I don't think military intervention would work because the gov't has military holding their backs. There isn't any other explanation of why all those people are suffering without rioting. Don't be fooled by western propaganda - eastern bloc regimes had massive protests and civil unrest only when economy was in crisis. Take Poland for example; Soviets mass-murdered god knows how many people there and imposed their system. And the thing started falling down when government didn't have any more sources for credits they used to keep commodity prices and quantities in check.

This looks to me like Stalin-type oppression. People are barely alive but they're obedient. Since Kim doesn't have a mustache like comrade Djugashvili, I'm not sure how he does it. But the weirdest thing is that these aren't 1930s any more, those people know at least something about how others, outside NK, are living. Especially because they have contact with South Koreans, they share a religious spot (a mountain) somewhere along the border.

If you have an hour of free time, watch this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6E3cShcVU

Documentary called "Welcome to North Korea", won 2001 international Emmy for best documentary.
10 years on, we know even less about them. A bit scary.

If Kim goes, the question will be how strong his son really is.    You could see power fragment

I don't know if I believe he's dead, however he may just be a puppet. Their whole system is based on Kim family cult, so he could be a PR puppet with someone else pulling the strings.

Back