Lord of Light

How good is Lord of Light on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Lord of Light

Talk about a grower. At first, I thought this song was utterly forgettable, but over the years, I've warmed up to it and now consider it a little masterpiece. It may be one of the most atmospheric pieces since The X Factor, dark and gloomy, with some great, mystic lyrics, a fantastic build-up and superb instrumentation. 9/10.

10/10. Great intro, and then that incredible Adrian Smith riff that propels the song. Bruce is shining on this one. A modern classic.

Lord of Light is an intricate number intensely packed and woven with riffs.  Honestly, there seems to be more riffs and more memorable moments per capita on AMOLAD than any other album I know of.  I do really enjoy the song as a whole, particularly Dave's solo that launches the song into it finale. However, for such a large song the chorus has never totally won me over....but as Forostar has claimed it as a Black Sabbath sounding chorus I will now relisten to it with open ears.  

A very solid 8.

One of Maiden's best riffs, honestly. It's the song that gets played the most in my head.

Perun said:
Talk about a grower. At first, I thought this song was utterly forgettable, but over the years, I've warmed up to it and now consider it a little masterpiece. It may be one of the most atmospheric pieces since The X Factor, dark and gloomy, with some great, mystic lyrics, a fantastic build-up and superb instrumentation. 9/10.

I agree. Most of the song is fantastic. I'm not too keen on the chorus, though. For me, the best parts of the song are the first riff of the fast part (after 1:39), and the solos. First H with one of his well-composed solos finishing with some unorthodox use of an octave pedal, building up tension, before Dave releases all that tension with another of his fluid and melodic ones.

9/10 seems appropriate.

Originally, this was one of my least favourite tracks, but it has grown on me. There is a lot to like here, and I can find some inspiration in the lyrics too.

8/10.

10 from me, this is my favorite song from AMOLAD (closely followed by Suns).  Everything works here for me.  Moody and eerie intro, great riff, good chorus, very good vocals and a different sounding solo segment.  I still think this song is the most prog on the album as it feels like it has the most parts.  Great, great song.

4. The intro has nothing to do with the body of the song and it serves only as an intro, nothing more nothing less. The main riff and the beat reminded me of Sabbath from the Mob Rules are, but it only eluded me. This song contains one of Maiden's most powerful lyrics, which is a finger on the wound, but the chorus has nothing to do with the great main riff and, once again, throw the song totally against its purpose and it doesn't regain the same power when Bruce sings in ravenous manner after the arpeggio in the middle, which is the same chord sequence as in BTATS.

I don't want to be boring, but could you at least write something when you rate a song? I noticed that you only wrote your rating and nothing else in some of your latest posts... Everybody here wrote something with their rating, don't be lazy ;) :cheers:

Dude, I've been away due to computer bug and I started on a new job which I wake up 4:50 am and get home about 19:30 pm, so I really want to put my thoughts on the songs ratings as I always do, as you might have noticed, but I got to get gears rolling about it again. It's a whole new life I'm living. Cheers.

I'd really like to read your views because i think we have a similar taste in Maiden albums and see some things equally in songs. I rate AMOLAD pretty high, and i rate this song exceptionally high (i'm going to rate && write when i get enough time), thus i want to know from what angle are your low rates coming from. And good luck with the new job!

It's a very close bout between this song and Starblind as my favorite Iron Maiden song, but at the end of the day, Lord of Light wins by a hair. Despite their multiple similarities, they also have their differences. Where Starblind is utterly sublime and spacial, Lord of Light is downright visceral and nightmarish. Ironically enough, I was reading both Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost during the very same cross-country trip where I listened to A Matter of Life and Death over and over again. At the time, this song didn't quite click for me, but I still liked it a lot at the time.

This song is simply incredible. Much like other songs off of AMOLAD, the band took chances here that quite simply worked. Bruce's eerie vocals at the start of the song, the Sabbath-esque chorus, Adrian's massive whammy bar usage at the end of his guitar solo, et cetera. While Starblind is the superior song lyrically, Lord of Light is definitely the superior vocal performance from Bruce. One of my absolute favorite performances from him, especially from "We are part of some strange plan..." to "... Lucifer was just an angel led astray." Incredible.

There is a darkness present throughout the majority of AMOLAD and it splits into two climatic presentations at the very end of the album: the presentation of the dangers of religion (Lord of Light) and the presentation of the dangers of politics and war (The Legacy). I'd also like to point out the nod or two that this song has towards Hallowed Be Thy Name. First is the lyrical nod, with the multiple uses of the phrase "Free your soul and let it fly," and the musical nod at the very end of the song with its brief finale portion like Hallowed.

One of my personal favorite songs ever. 100000000000000000/10

Back