Random trivia

The following might be a prejudiced statement but sometimes I have the idea that Americans like American artists more than non American artists.

Alright, in Europe we also like Maiden more than in America, but American acts are also very popular in this area. At least, to me, it looks like there's more balance.

Well, Silent Lucidity hit the airwaves when the 'power ballad' was at it's peak.  I think the fact that there weren't any mp3's or iTunes to buy singles off of made these albums sell more at that point in time.

I don't know, Foro.  Heavy metal in general has always been a rough sell in the USA.  But remember how badly Beatlemania took the States, too.  So...I think that in the modern era the US radio/tv shows more Americans, but previous to that, I'm not sure.

LooseCannon said:
Heavy metal in general has always been a rough sell in the USA.

Not true.  Back in Black is the fifth(?)-biggest selling album ever, and Metallica is, um, kind of popular here.  I do agree that, historically, American metal has fared better in the U.S. than British metal, but I think that's more because (1) the U.S. just didn't catch on to the New Wave of British Heavy Metal right away, and (2) bands like Van Halen and Motley Crue came along and appealed equally to girls as boys -- something that can't really be said for Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.  (The same can be said, however, about Def Leppard, which was enormously popular in the U.S.)

Also, you need heavy radio and MTV rotation in the U.S. to sell.  Power ballads and hairspray got you on MTV, but heavy riffs didn't.  Take the case of Metallica -- without revamping the "did they sell out?" debate -- the band did not become huge until videos like Enter Sandman, Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters started getting heavy airplay on MTV.  In the past 5-10 years or so, metal has not been that popular here, but it is starting to make a bit of a comeback.

I disagree that the U.S. is biased against British bands generally, however.  The U.S. charts have a much greater rap/hip-hop and country/western presence than elsewhere, which is obviously dominated by Americans, but among pop/rock artists, the U.S. has not hesitated to embrace UK artists.  Radiohead, U2 and Coldplay are all pretty big here, on a par with, say, Springsteen, Metallica and the Dave Matthews Band. 

Since we're talking about charts, and this is a trivia thread, who was Billboard's Artist of the Decade (1990s -- awarded in 1999)? 

I would throw a wild guess - Or a two - Madonna or U2. I say that because they were really big here in the 90s.

cornfedhick said:
Since we're talking about charts, and this is a trivia thread, who was Billboard's Artist of the Decade (1990s -- awarded in 1999)? 
Metallica?

None of those answers is correct, but Celine Dion and Will Smith are better guesses than Metallica.  It's not a metal artist. 

Lest this languish unanswered and I forget, and because folks have lost interest, the answer is Mariah Carey. 

Next question. 

LooseCannon said:

WTF.

that is internet/texting lingo that stands for 'What The Fuck'; when the person using it feels dismay, confusion, or, really wants to know what the fuck is going on. 

Look at me getting a trivia question right! :innocent:

LooseCannon said:

WTF.
It was a lame trivia question, and as no one had guessed for a couple days, I thought I'd close the loop.

Or, if you are merely incredulous as to how Mariah Carey was Billboard's artist of the decade, I agree with you, though she did sell an enormous assload of records.   

A. Which movie director is according to the Top 250 in the Internet Movie Database the most popular one?
B. How many (approx.) films of that director you think are in that list?

*The Top 250 is intended to be a listing of the top 'rated' 250 films, based on ratings by the registered users of the website

Very good, Shadow.

A. Correct
B. 11 films:

The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Rebecca (1940)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Notorious (1946)
Rope (1948)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Rear Window (1954)
Vertigo (1958)
North by Northwest (1959)
Psycho (1960)

Kubrick is probably 2nd! ;)

8 films:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Shining (1980)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
The Killing (1956)
Spartacus (1960)

Back