Random trivia

I'm guessing Astatine.  Reason: I've heard of ___ fluoride, ___ chloride, ___ bromide, and ___ iodide in chemistry classes (I think  :innocent: ).  So that leaves out Astatine.  It's also the heaviest halogen, so I guess it's the least reactive. 

Invader said:
I'm guessing Astatine.  Reason: I've heard of ___ fluoride, ___ chloride, ___ bromide, and ___ iodide in chemistry classes (I think  :innocent: ).  So that leaves out Astatine.  It's also the heaviest halogen, so I guess it's the least reactive. 

Mass is not necessarily inversely proportional to reactivity.  The most reactive Group I and II metals (and Group III, I believe) are the heaviest ones (the ones near the bottom of the group).  The reason Astatine is the least reactive halogen is down the fact that it is a Group VII element...in order to react and gain Noble gas electronic configuration, it needs to gain one electron.  Now, it has the largest nucleus out of any halogen, so, in theory, that large positive charge should attract an electron easily.  However, it also has a large number of electrons arranged in what are called 'shielding shells' around the nucleus; the inner electron shells block out most of the nuclear charge from the outer (valence) electron shell.  Since this is quite far from the nucleus (compared to F, Cl, Br, I), the effect of nuclear charge is not very strong.  Hence, you need to supply a lot of energy to the reactants for an electron to be transferred to Astatine.

Right, that's my revision for Chemistry done today...exam on Wednesday :innocent:

Which four Iron Maiden studio-albums went platinum in the USA?
Which four Judas Priest studio-albums went platinum in the USA (one of them even multiple)?

Don't look it up! Guess ;)

All guessed...

Forostar said:
Which four Iron Maiden studio-albums went platinum in the USA?

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Somewhere In Time
A Matter Of Life And Death

Which four Judas Priest studio-albums went platinum in the USA (one of them even multiple)?

British Steel
Point Of Entry
Screaming For Vengeance
Painkiller

I'm guessing Screaming For Vengeance did multiple platinum.

Perun said:
All guessed...

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Somewhere In Time
A Matter Of Life And Death

Three albums correct!

Perun said:
British Steel
Point Of Entry
Screaming For Vengeance
Painkiller

Two albums correct, one of them is:

Perun said:
I'm guessing Screaming For Vengeance did multiple platinum.

Indeed! A double platinum that is!

I'm guessing that possibly Powerslave went platinum in the US and not Piece of Mind? (the other three of Perun's guesses been the rest)

As for Priest, I'm not that sure - but I have this idea, for some reason, that Hell Bent for Leather (or Killing Machine, as it was known elsewhere) was quite popular.

Albie said:
I'm guessing that possibly Powerslave went platinum in the US and not Piece of Mind? (the other three of Perun's guesses been the rest)

Powerslave is indeed the one! The first three albums Perun mentioned were correct!
So the following studio-albums went platinum on the following dates:

The Number of the Beast --> 2 October 1986
Piece of Mind --> 5 November 1986
Powerslave --> 17 June 1991
Somewhere in Time --> 20 July 1992

Albie said:
As for Priest, I'm not that sure - but I have this idea, for some reason, that Hell Bent for Leather (or Killing Machine, as it was known elsewhere) was quite popular.

Alas, no platinum. It reached gold in 1989, though.
I'll help a bit. British Steel & Screaming for Vengeance are 2 of the 4 platinum studio-albums.

Im guessing Defenders Of The Faith and possibly Turbo are the other 2. It can't be any of their 70's or 90's albums. Its definitely not Demolition. And I don't think Angel Of Retribution was that huge a seller. So that leaves only the two albums  I mentioned.

Correct Supersonic!
Here the albums and dates:

Screaming for Vengeance --> 18 April 1983 (and double platinum 16 October 2001)
Defenders of the Faith --> 26 September 1988
Turbo --> 24 July 1989
British Steel --> 9 August 1989

Overview of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest:

Albums (live included):
Iron Maiden:
5 platinum (NOTB, POM, Powerslave, LAD, SIT)
3 gold (Killers, SSOASS, NPFTD)

Judas Priest:
5 platinum, of which one double platinum (DOTF, Turbo, BS, Unleashed in the East, SFV)
7 gold (Ram it Down, Stained Class, Sin After Sin, Point of Entry, HBFL, Painkiller, Priest..Live!)

Videos:
Iron Maiden:
4 platinum, of which one double platinum (LAD, RIO, The Early Days, Visions of the Beast)
3 gold (12 Wasted Years, Behind the Iron Curtain, Maiden England)

Judas Priest:
1 platinum (Electric Eye)
3 gold (Fuel for Life, Judas Priest Live, Rising in the East)

source: http://www.riaa.com

3 years to make Piece of Mind platinum, that is not too bad. The rest took 4 - 7 years to do that.

I'm hoping this question will not be restricted to UK posters - but, I'm fairly sure it could be answered. Nevertheless, here it is:

Does any one know where in the UK was Elvis Presley's only ever visit (and he was here for 1 hour)?

Albie said:
3 years to make Piece of Mind platinum, that is not too bad. The rest took 4 - 7 years to do that.

I'm hoping this question will not be restricted to UK posters - but, I'm fairly sure it could be answered. Nevertheless, here it is:

Does any one know where in the UK was Elvis Presley's only ever visit (and he was here for 1 hour)?

Airport, I presume...Gatwick?

Then again, he was in the US Navy...could have been a visit to one of the ports. :(

Back